Sunday, April 18, 2010

BEDA 18: Doing Nothing

It's hard for me to do nothing. There is this ubiquitous guilt that comes with it; a nagging sense in the back of my head that I should be actively pursuing some goal. I should be creating, I should be writing, I should be working, I should be reading.
There are dishes to wash and laundry to do and a dog to walk and books to finish and runs to take and a novel to write and comics to write and blogs to write and floors to vacuum.

It's hard to commit to doing nothing because I have consciously made the decision to forgo any and all responsibilities and instead sit around staring at glowing boxes. (Even though I tend to count video games as at least semi-productive activity because there are goals to accomplish there.)
Most of the nothing I do comes out of procrastination. I sit down to check my internet for five minutes before I move on to my next project for the day, and I end up surfing around comedy websites and facebook.
I have a strained relationship with doing nothing because of the guilt that comes with it, but I also see it as completely necessary to my sanity. If I was 100% productive 100% of the time, I think I would lose my taste for it all together. You have to keep the balance.
Anyways, today is a Nothing Day, and I'm going to go do some more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment