Saturday, April 24, 2010

BEDA 24: Golf


As a kid, golf for me might have been like church for you.
It's something I've had to do every Sunday for as long as I can remember. Rain or shine, whether I wanted to or not, I was out on that golf course with my dad.
I didn't really like it when I was a kid. Well, I guess I liked it, but it was never something that I would have done on my own.

But now I like it.*

It was something I had to come around to over many years, but now it's something that I enjoy. I can appreciate the finer aspects of the game now that I was unable to appreciate as a kid.
Golf is hard. That's the appeal. It's really hard but it's also really possible to be awesome at golf (like half the time) and that's a good feeling.
Also, you get to be outside. Essentially you're in the middle of the woods, so that's cool too.
I never thought I would share my dad's enthusiasm for the game, but now that I'm older I really do like it.
I think I can definitely see where disc golf came from now.
A bunch of guys about my age thinking, "Yeah, golfing is okay, but I'd rather just play Ultimate Frisbee."
...
"You guys, I've got it!"

*Actually, in this aspect, golf probably turned out better for me than church turned out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment